Thursday, December 2, 2010

End of Season Review: Buster Posey


San Francisco Giants Buster Posey flies out to center against the Arizona Diamondbacks at AT&T Park in San Francisco on September 28, 2010.  The Giants defeated the Diamondbacks 4-2 to take a two game lead in the NL West.  UPI/Terry Schmitt Photo via Newscom

What can be said about Buster Posey that hasn't already been said? Posey was everything and more to the Giants this season. He was the stoic backstop that lead a lethal pitching staff. He was a hitting machine that solidified the middle of the Giants order. He lead the team with his modesty, get the job done attitude, while playing with pure ice water in his veins under some of the brightest lights baseball can throw at you.

Year G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
2010 108 443 406 58 124 23 2 18 67 0 30 55 .305 .357 .505 .862 129
Posey blew my away from his very first game and continued to amaze until the last out of the World Series was recorded. I tried to dampen my expectations for Posey because it is not often that a rookie emerges on the scene like we just saw.

Here is what I said after his first week in the majors:
I anticipate that if Posey remains in the majors for the remainder of the season and if he is able to get into 4-5 games a week he should play in about 90 games and put up the following numbers.
.284/.345/.410 and a OPS of .755
I was less optimistic about the power numbers then the projections because of the home parks in the national league west and the fact that Posey has much more of a compact gap hitter type swing. I think that Posey hit will hit for a good average and have a very good walk rate that should be around 10% while keeping the strikeouts in check at around 15%...
He may not finish the season hitting .500 but if the Giants keep him in the big leagues he will be a worthy player. He will not single handily save the offense but he will give the team a player that can push them towards league average. I am excited that he is up in the Majors and I hope that he is here to stay.
Well to say that I under shot things is a bit of an understatement and if there was ever a time to look foolish I am glad that it was because a player did better then I expected. The one thing that I wish I could take back is that comment about the power, Posey is so much more then just a gap to gap guy. He has legitimate power to but the ball into the stands and does it with such ease.

I will try not to make that mistake again next season, but I really hope that he does better then we all expect again.

If your on Twitter you should definitely follow the The Crazy Crabbers. If you're not you should really consider joining, lots of good stuff going on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment