Friday, February 11, 2011

Pat Burrell's 2011 Projection



Pat Burrell was a pleasant surprise last season after washing out with the Rays. The big question coming into 2011 is which Pat the Bat shows up.

Most projections that you will see give you one line of stats. I know my limitations, so I will gave you that line of stats, but also a best case and a worst case scenario, so you can get an idea of my general range for that player.

Without further ado, the projection:


BAOBPSLGR2B3BHRRBISB
2011 Projections.243.344.4515723121710
Best Case.267.378.4967430127920
Worst Case.219.309.4064016015500

The best case is essentially a full season at the level he gave the Giants last year. The worst case is a full season of what he gave the Rays. The projection I settled on is basically a repeat.

I wish I had some inside information in saying which is more likely to show up to Spring Training, but I don't. The pessimist in me leans toward the worst case, with the upside being some streaks of hitting bombs. In the end, I am okay if that is the case because the Giants have outfield depth and having a right handed masher able to come off the bench is a nice asset to have.

There is also the incredibly team friendly contract that makes even minimal contributions worthwhile. It makes the burden of moving him to the bench less of an issue because the minimal money brings about less expectations. This is good news if Mark DeRosa is fully healthy and hitting at a rate above a little leaguer or if Brandon Belt keeps on keeping on and makes the team.

Getting last year's version of Pat Burrell for any extended stretches next year is gravy. If he washes out again, everything was low risk and the Giants have plenty of viable options to replace him.

If you're on Twitter, you should definitely follow The Crazy Crabbers. If you're not, you should really consider joining; lots of good stuff going on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment